Thursday, March 19, 2020

Settling in to a New Normal in the Age of Coronavirus

It's easier for us. We've been retired for awhile. We're used to filling our time with (mostly) worthwhile things so we can reach the end of the day without feeling we've wasted it. 

What's noteworthy for me isn't the social distancing, it's the digital coming together that's happening. And Zoom is proving to be one of the stars in this crisis. Monday night, my book club met via Zoom. Tuesday, we did "Grandma and Grandpa story time" with our granddaughter in Seattle. Wednesday, our whole family got together for a "welcome home party" for Christie, who is safely back from Africa. Today, I did "Grandma leads yoga" for our grandkids in Minnesota.

One of my former work colleagues set up a Facebook group where people can share ideas about what to do with all your new "social isolation" time. People are very creative, and they are sharing some great resources. For example, I had no idea that Broadway HD is available. Last night, Jim and I watched "She Loves Me." It was delightful.

I think that as people (adults at least) adjust to the new normal, they will find that filling their time isn't a problem. Almost 10 years into retirement, I haven't begun to run out of things to do. But I find the support people are providing as we all adjust is truly heartwarming and encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment