Saturday, January 28, 2023

We Scarfed Up Views of Mostar's Iconic Bridge

In the fall of 2017, Jim and I took an Overseas Adventure Travel trip called Crossroads of the Adriatic. We had visited Europe quite a few times on our own, but this felt like part of the world where we would enjoy the comfort of having someone else figure out the logistics. We had also discovered the value of having a knowledgeable guide to really learn about the people, the history, and the culture instead of just admiring the monuments and the scenery.

Our guide for this trip (OAT now calls them Trip Experience Leaders) was a young Croatian woman named Bruna. Her English was impeccable, her knowledge was deep, her people management skills were excellent, and she was always thoroughly prepared. Bruna was the embodiment of the maxim that women have to be twice as good, twice as prepared, to be equal. And yet, one of our fellow travelers (a retired professional woman!) remarked that Bruna was so cute...  Bruna was indeed very attractive, but cute? Argh! We've come a long way baby, but we still have a long way to go.

One of the stops on this journey was Mostar, home to the iconic bridge. Mostar is a delightful town with cobblestone streets and picturesque byways. It is also home to many athletic and insane (in my opinion) young men who jump off that bridge into the water. You can see them perched at the peak, either ready to jump or to encourage their compatriots.


Fashion is not my forte, but I am known for my love of scarfs and my huge collection, acquired all over the world. Sadly, I have forgotten the origin of quite a few of them. By 2017, I had vowed not to buy any more scarves on our travels, even though they fit so easily into our suitcase. However... I couldn't resist this hand-painted gem from one of the lovely little shops in Mostar. I assuaged my guilt by hanging it above my dresser instead of wearing it. It's really too pretty to wear anyway.




And we love to have mementos of favorite places adorning our walls and shelves. This wood-carving from a handicraft stand on one of the steep cobblestone streets seemed like a perfect way to remember Mostar.











Yep... lots of scarves... 

No comments:

Post a Comment