Monday, October 10, 2016

Respecting the Wisdom of Lifelong Expertise

I recently wrote down my Manifesto for a Full, Active Retirement.  (More about that in a later post.) One of my directives to myself is: " Read, listen to, or watch something every day that stretches my mind."

I read often and widely. I love fiction, and most of the time I try to choose fiction that is "meaningful," either because it explores the nuances of a difficult issue or elucidates the complexities of a different culture or historical period. I read non-fiction too. And lately, I've started listening to podcasts instead of music when I walk. I still choose music sometimes, because I'm less likely to get so caught up that I ignore my surroundings. But I've grown to love podcasts.


Today I listened to a Brookings Institute podcast: Political Gridlock and the U.S. Economy.  The subject itself was fascinating. And as always with Brookings podcasts, I was very impressed by the two panelists. They both had vast experience, were well-informed, calm, articulate, and mildly humorous. It left me wondering, yet again, why we have become a culture that treats expertise, knowledge, and wisdom with such disdain.

No comments:

Post a Comment