Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sometimes I really love Facebook!

Facebook is my closet addiction. People post lots of junk, but I also find at least one useful nugget almost every day. I rediscover long-lost friends and stalk acquaintances. I follow links that send me meandering through interesting pictures and articles. I giggle and I grimace. Facebook isn't a replacement for sitting across from someone at a coffee shop or talking on the phone, but it provides a new richness to life that we didn't have without social media. It's a virtual form of travel that let's us see how other people live, what's important to them, what makes them laugh or cry, and what they are doing with their time. It enables us to maintain so many more connections than we could without Facebook, even if many of them are loosely held.

And what a Facebook-esque irony that today, when I was contemplating and writing about the Retirement Balancing Act, lo and behold, two of my friends shared this wonderful Kermit picture. It made me laugh and it brought me up short. It is important to be self-reflective and have a plan of sorts for your life. But it's also important to be able to laugh at yourself and just relish each day. Thanks, Kermit! And thanks, Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment